Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Off to Helena! & SIT-STAY video


DAY 15: Leaving tomorrow for the dog shows in Helena! This video is of a sit-stay we practiced yesterday while on the dirt roads in Crane (the town where I live). I asked the dogs to sit and stay right in front of a fenced yard with two barking dogs behind the fence. Crosby sits very well (Cadence is slow to sit), but the horse was bothered by the barking, and when the horse moved to get a better look at the "distraction", Crosby moved, too (so he wouldn't get stepped on!) Crosby sat back down again as soon as I asked, so that was very good! I had to work today (I work as a substitute teacher), so there was no exercise walk this morning. After work, in the evening, I saddled the horse and took Rad and Crosby for a ride. It was still 92° outside, and Crosby had already worked himself up because I had put him in the dog run for an hour or so (and he spends that time complaining about his situation!). It was also unbelievably humid! This was great, though, because it will be humid at the VA Road Trial. It may not be hot (late October), but it is always good to train in as many situations as possible, and the weather is something you can’t special-order! Crosby’s tongue was already hanging low, but we headed out to circle the property a few times for about 2 ½ miles of trotting. Crosby did great. He was out in front most of the time that he was allowed to be – in other words, he wasn’t dragging behind, even though it was hot and he was already tired. I dropped the leash pretty early this time (let him loose, dragging the leash), and he walked in front of the horse (blocking the path; at risk of getting stepped on) a little less this time, so maybe he is learning. I was riding a different horse this time (Pate, the Appaloosa), and Pate is VERY GOOD with the dogs. When Crosby did get in front of Pate and they got too close, Pate put his nose down and actually NUDGED Crosby out of the way! I think that helped Crosby learn as much as if I had had a crop to tap him with! Pate is such a good horse! Now, if I could only get a rental horse with that much sense! After the ride, I tried to practice some obedience on the ground with Crosby, but Rad kept getting in the way, so I doubt it was very helpful. We did get in a good off-leash, on-horse 1 minute sit stay. Plus some other stays, and some recalls. Crosby actually recalled to the moving horse and fell into hock very well today, but that is probably because it was so hot and he was already tired. I need to get that response out of him “out of the starting gate” – when he is fresh and the weather is cool. We’ll work on that. Mileage: 2.6 Day 16: This morning I had to work, and I am leaving for Helena dog shows (7 hours away) after work. I ran each dog through a Rally routine before work, but there was no time for an exercise walk. Then work called and said I didn’t have to come in until 10 AM, so I have a little more time to pack the car. Maybe I should do the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment