Sunday, September 27, 2009

DAY 22

DAY 22: I had to work today, and didn’t get up early enough to walk the dogs, so Crosby didn’t get any regular obedience in the AM. When I got home from work, though, at early evening, I saddled up Shadow and headed out with Crosby and Rad. I can’t ride Pate with Crosby right now, because Pate (the Appaloosa) has thrown a shoe, and the farrier is out of town. That’s too bad, because I need Pate to push Crosby out of the way! Shadow is very careful of Crosby, but Shadow has just learned to step around Crosby. I guess that’s good, because Crosby doesn’t get stepped on, but it hasn’t taught Crosby to be careful! I use a command “CAREFUL!” that I SHOUT when the dog gets in the way, or when the dog is in danger. Crosby seems to listen to that command, and is learning what it means. If Crosby were my dog, and I had all the time in the world to train him, I would let the horse step on him! Yes, I would! If you are going to have a “Road Dog”, you need the dog to learn caution around the horse. Of course, if you let a dog get stepped on, he may learn something, but he also may get injured. The injury would most likely not be serious, and would heal, but I don’t have time for Crosby to get injured! (Besides, he is NOT my dog, and I don’t take risks with other people’s dogs!). So Shadow and I are very cautious with Crosby, and Crosby rules the trail.
We made two loops around the property plus we explored the “back 20”; an area we hadn’t ridden in before. It is a smaller hay field that can only be accessed from the canal road behind our property. The hay had been cut and baled, so we rode the perimeter. Lots of good smells to distract Crosby. Lots of deer run in that field in the evening, and plenty of pheasants. We didn’t scare up any live game, and Crosby once again stayed very close. No problems at all on the recall! This is such a good dog! Mileage: about 3

No comments:

Post a Comment